Monday, November 15, 2010

Supper Popover

Growing up, this was my most-requested dinner dish. My mom said she'd found it in a magazine years ago (we're talking back in the 70s here, people). I've seen some people cite this as from a Betty Crocker cookbook. Whichever it is, I have always loved it. This and Pizza Without a Crust were my favorite meals growing up.

They were certainly way better than cube steak, which I had to eat all the time, my dad being a meat and potatoes kind of guy, and I could never stand it. I haven't eaten cube steak in almost 25 years now and despite Pioneer Woman's recipe for her husband's favorite sandwich, I don't think I will be able to eat it ever again. I have not-so-fond memories of trying to chew through grey bits of gristle, and yes, gagging.

This dish, on the other hand, I would eat once a week for dinner and gladly eat the leftovers for lunch the next day. My kids love it too.

Supper Popover






Ingredients :
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 can (15oz) diced tomatoes in juice
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 1 T sun-dried tomato pesto (optional)
  • 2 T all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 t black pepper
  • 1/2 t garlic powder
  • 2 t Italian seasoning
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 t salt
Instructions :
  1. Heat oven to 425.
  2. Brown the ground beef in 10-inch skillet until brown and cooked through; drain.
  3. Stir in the diced tomatoes, red bell pepper, garlic, onion, sun-dried tomato paste, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
  4. Raise heat to high. Cook 1 minute, stirring to make sure nothing sticks and burns.
  5. Add 1 T flour. Stir until well-combined.
  6. Pour into ungreased 9 x 13 baking pan. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
  7. Beat eggs, milk, oil, 1 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt with hand beater; pour over cheese.
  8. Bake until puffy and golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately.

Notes:
  • I once made a version of this using salsa in place of the diced tomatoes and substituted 1 cup of pepperjack cheese for some of the cheddar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails