Saturday, November 13, 2010

Pumpkin Pancake Puffs

I had some leftover pumpkin puree from when I made the gingerbread. It was not enough for a pie or another batch of gingerbread, and I didn't want to throw it out, so I thought it was time for another one of my "just throw some shit together and see what happens" types of recipes. In addition to the pumpkin puree, I had several items loitering around the kitchen I wanted to use up. Best of all, since I used packaged pancake mix, I get bonus Sandra Lee points as well.

These were pretty good. They're not really a muffin, which is denser, so I hesitate to call them pumpkin muffins. They were gone within 15 minutes of being pulled out of the oven, so I'll work out the kinks of the recipe for next time.

If I were totally depraved, I would deep-fry the batter as a sort of knock-off of Denny's Pancake Puppies, but I am not depraved. Also, I don't have a deep fryer. So, there ya go.

Pumpkin Pancake Puffs






Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups pancake mix ( I often have New Hope Mills)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup Greek yogurt, sour cream or buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 t cinnamon
  • cinnamon sugar
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, brown sugar and cinnamon.
  3. Add the yogurt and stir well.
  4. Add the beaten eggs, mixing well to combine.
  5. Add the pancake mix and stir well until it is all combined.
  6. Grease mini muffin tins and drop in the batter.
  7. Bake for 20 minutes until the tops are lightly golden and a cake tester come out clean.
  8. Dust with cinnamon sugar and eat warm.
Notes:
  • These stuck to the muffin tins like hell. I don't know if I should butter and flour them next time or use muffin liners.
  • These were very tangy- possibly because I used Greek yogurt. I might add a bit more brown sugar to the pumpkin puree next time, or use cream instead of the yogurt, though I actually liked the tanginess.
  • I also might add bit more baking soda for more lift.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails