Saturday, November 6, 2010

Pannukakku; Finnish Oven Pancake

Here Chez Babs, we just love breakfast-for-supper, but really, who doesn't?

For starters, none of us were all that hungry tonight, plus I wanted something tasty but quick. I wasn't in the mood to make everyone an omelette to order and the kids didn't feel like scrambled eggs and cinnamon toast. I also didn't feel up to dealing with cleaning the waffle iron or the cast iron griddle either, and try though I may, I just can't justify coffeecake for dinner. Finally I remembered that earlier in the day, I had been thinking of making pannukakku for breakfast, but sloth got the better of me and I had a bagel instead.


So, Breakfast for Supper, the international edition!


Pannukakku



Serves 4*


Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 1/2 t sugar
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 t almond extract
  • 1 T unsalted butter
  • Greek yogurt, vanilla flavored
  • berries
  • confectioner's sugar
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 425.

  2. Mix together the dry ingredients in a small bowl.

  3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy, then add the milk and extract. Whisk well.

  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk until everything is incorporated. Set aside.

  5. Put 1 T of butter in an 8 x 8 inch square baking pan and put in the oven for 5 minutes until the butter has melted and is bubbly.

  6. Take out, tilt the dish so that the bottom is evenly coated with the melted butter. Then pour in the batter and bake for 15 minutes or until it is puffy and the tops of the sides are browned.

  7. I like to slice it into quarters and serve with Greek-style vanilla yogurt, berries and confectioner's sugar.

Notes:
  • Here is the pannukakku a few minutes after it's come out of the oven. It has deflated quite a bit. When I took it out, the entire thing was puffed up and the edges were up above the top of the sides.




  • I halved the recipe I like because I think that pannukakku should be eaten right away, not stuck in the fridge to be reheated later on. The full recipe makes enough batter for a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails