Monday, July 4, 2011

Egg Baked in a Potato Shell with Salsa, Cheese and Chives

I've never been a fan of cold cereal for breakfast; I'm an eggs-for-breakfast kind of girl. Add potatoes to that and I'm in heaven. Eggs and hash, potato-filled omelette, peasant breakfast, scrambled eggs with a thin German potato pancake, I can't think of an egg-and-potato preparation that I wouldn't love.

I love the presentation of oeufs en cocotte, and I've done my own take on that by baking beaten eggs and cream in leftover mashed potato. Yesterday I was pondering the pile of roasted potatoes I had leftover from making my roasted beet, potato and goat cheese pizza (recipe forthcoming), and I decided to try baking an egg in a hollowed-out potato shell.

Tasty, plus it had that satisfying comfort food feel to it.


Egg Baked in a Potato Shell with Salsa, Cheese and Chives




Ingredients:
  • 1  medium potato, baked and cooled
  • 1 egg
  • 1 T salsa
  • 2 T shredded cheddar
  • chives
  • salt and pepper

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Slice off the top of the potato - about 1/4 of the way down.
  3. Place the potato in a ramekin.
  4. Scoop out the insides of the potato, leaving a shell with about 1/8 in. layer of potato - I like to use a grapefruit spoon.
  5. Season the insides with salt and pepper
  6. Put 1 T of salsa on the bottom, followed by 1 T cheese.
  7. Carefully crack the egg into the potato and top with the remaining 1 T of cheddar.
  8. Bake for about 20 minutes, then top with chives and a few more shreds of cheddar if you like and serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! Can imgaine it'd be quite filling with the egg and the potato - looks like a great lunch option :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was my light-ish dinner the other night, too, so I think that it'd be great as lunch :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails