Friday, January 1, 2010

Maple Wheat Dinner Rolls

Since Thanksgiving and Christmas were just upon us, and sometimes that means cooking a dinner (if you're crazy enough to be hosting,) or bringing a dish (if it's pot-luck), I thought I'd share my favorite dinner roll recipe. I found this recipe in a magazine ages ago; I believe it was the now-defunct Veggie Life.

I usually double this recipe and make and herbed popover too because the family gatherings tend to be large and people like their food. :)




Maple Wheat Dinner Rolls

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 pkg. dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
  • 2 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Oil for brushing

Directions:
  1. Combine the warm water and maple syrup in a large bowl and stir. 
  2. Add the yeast and stir the mixture well with a fork to dissolve the clumps.
  3. Cover and let sit until the mixture gets foamy, about 5 minutes.
  4. Add the oil, whole-wheat flour, 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour, and salt to the yeast mixture in the large bowl. Stir until well mixed.
  5. Dust a work surface with some the remaining flour and place the dough on it. Knead the dough for 10-12 minutes, adding extra flour as you go. - This dough will be slightly tacky, but it should not stick to your hands.
  6. Cover the dough let rise until doubled, 30 to 60 minutes.
  7. Lightly oil an 8 by 8-inch baking pan. Divide the dough into 16 balls. Brush the tops with oil, and place in the prepared pan. Cover and let rise again until until the rolls have doubled, another 30 to 60 minutes.
  8. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
  9. Serve warm with butter.

2 comments:

  1. I have been making bread this week, too! I tried a No Knead with entirely whole wheat. This recipe looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't really looked seriously into the no-knead breads yet. I really enjoy the kneading process. Very therapeutic. But I've heard several people mention Mark Bittman's no-knerad bread recipe so I figure I'll have to give it a whirl and see if it's worth it.

    When it comes to bread, I'm willing to endure the extra effort of a pre-ferment. What can I say? I like my bread. :)

    These maple wheat rolls really are something special. The mixture of the two flours means that they're not heavy and dense like a 100% whole what roll would be, and the maple flavor complements the nuttiness of the whole wheat.

    I never have any of these left over. A good sign. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails