I usually double this recipe and make and herbed popover too because the family gatherings tend to be large and people like their food. :)
TweetMaple Wheat Dinner Rolls
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 pkg. dry yeast
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Oil for brushing
- Combine the warm water and maple syrup in a large bowl and stir.
- Add the yeast and stir the mixture well with a fork to dissolve the clumps.
- Cover and let sit until the mixture gets foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the oil, whole-wheat flour, 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour, and salt to the yeast mixture in the large bowl. Stir until well mixed.
- Dust a work surface with some the remaining flour and place the dough on it. Knead the dough for 10-12 minutes, adding extra flour as you go. - This dough will be slightly tacky, but it should not stick to your hands.
- Cover the dough let rise until doubled, 30 to 60 minutes.
- Lightly oil an 8 by 8-inch baking pan. Divide the dough into 16 balls. Brush the tops with oil, and place in the prepared pan. Cover and let rise again until until the rolls have doubled, another 30 to 60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve warm with butter.