I'm back to low-carbing, and to that end, I wanted to post some of my favorite staple meals that make low-carbing tasty and enjoyable. I very often make a Meat-n-Greens meal, switching out the protein - ground beef, ground turkey, chicken sausage, and the greens - spinach, kale, Swiss chard, and messing around the the flavor profiles - Asian, Cajun, Mediterranean. The end result is a great-tasting, satiating, fiber-rich meal, and it's easy, too, so that's a winner. There are no exotic, hard-to-fnd ingredients, so really, anyone could make it.
Spicy Beef and Greens
- 1/4 lb ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and minced
- 1/2 t ginger paste
- 1/2 t red chili paste
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- water as needed
- splash soy sauce
- 2 cups packed greens, chopped
- Over medium-high heat, saute the beef until brown.
- Add the chopped onion and cook until it begins to soften.
- Add the bell pepper, let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and cook until they’ve released a lot of liquid and are starting to brown up.
- Add the garlic, ginger paste and chili paste. Stir through, then add the beef stock and a few splashes of soy sauce.
- Add the chopped greens on top, cover and cook until they are darker green and nicely wilted. You can add more water as needed to help steam.
- Remove the cover, stir thoroughly, add some cayenne and let cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- I sometimes buy ginger paste and chili paste in a tube for ease of convenience. Also this beef broth concentrate. I don’t always have my homemade beef stock on hand, and a squirt oor two of this stuff is great.
Calorie Breakdown:Ok, by eyeballing and guessing at the amounts, this is the calorie breakdown for this meal.
This assumes that the nutrient breakdown in the Livestrong database is accurate: