Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sausage and Potato Breakfast Casserole

Breakfast is my favorite meal, usually because by the time I wake up, I am ravenous and anything I find to eat is going to taste delicious. It is a rare day that I skip breakfast, and I usually enjoy a substantial meal in the morning rather than a few bites of something light. I'd rather have eggs and potatoes for breakfast than something sweet and fruity, although the occasional plate of waffles and syrup suits me fine. In general, give me something packed with protein, carbs, cheese and sometimes a bit of grease, and I'm satisfied for hours.

I also love one-dish meals, with everything mixed together - easy to make, easy to serve and totally delicious. This breakfast casserole is very forgiving because you can toss in a variety of vegetables - I often include sauteed mushrooms and green pepper. You can use 2 cups of egg substitute in lieu of the whole eggs, and frozen hash browns work in a pinch if you don't happen to have any leftover baked potatoes. Use whichever sausage you like best, maple breakfast sausage, a spicy chorizo, or my favorite, a bulk pork sausage heavy on the sage.

Any way you cut it, it's a deeply satisfying dish and a great breakfast for those days you need something solid in your stomach.



Sausage and Potato Breakfast Casserole


Ingredients
  • 1/2 lb. bulk pork sausage - I like Bob Evans Savory Sage sausage
  • 1/2 medium onion, choppped
  • 2 large russet potatoes, baked*
  • 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar, shredded
  • 8 eggs**
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • pinch salt
  • pinch pepper
 Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease an 8 in. x 8 in. baking dish.

  2. Brown the sausage in a large skillet until browned. Break up any large clumps of sausage. Add the chopped onion when the sausage is mostly cooked through and cook until the onion has softened and all the pink is gone from the sausage.

  3. Shred the leftover baked potatoes with a box grater into a large bowl and beat together the eggs and milk in another bowl or a measuring cup.

  4. Layer half the shredded potatoes in the baking dish, followed by half of the sausage and onion mixture and then half of the cheese and repeat with the remaining potatoes, sausage and onion and cheese.

  5. Season with salt and pepper

  6. Pour the egg-and-milk mixture evenly over the other ingredients and bake for 40 - 50 minutes or until the eggs are set. You can bake it longer if you want it to come out golden brown.

  7. Let cool 5 minutes and then serve. I added a bit of sriracha on mine.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, sounds satisfying alright - but definately a weekend morning breakfast. Even I wouldn't get out of bed an hour earlier on a weekday to make that for breaky.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails