Thursday, April 21, 2011

Fettuccine Alfredo

Pasta is another classic comfort food, and although my favorite pasta dishes number in, oh, probably all of them, fettuccine alfredo is pretty near the top of the list for me. The thing about alfredo is that it is almost always a disappointment when I go out to eat and order it.

I really am not a fan of the Olive Garden. I think that their food is overpriced and mediocre, although I will admit I love their butter-drenched breadsticks. The times I've gone there, I've usually ordered the alfredo and when it came, it was already a mess of separating sauce and overdone pasta, or it was a pile of pasta absolutely drowning in sauce. I prefer a lighter touch with the sauce, with the fettuccine barely moistened by the sauce, but that's just me. Another great thing about making it yourself is that you can add as little or as much of the sauce as you like.

The thing is, it is so easy to make you'll never go out for alfredo again. Alfredo should be devoured eaten almost as soon as it hits your bowl. You may curse me when you try this for yourself and see how easy it is.You can suit just about anyone's taste for ingredients and the amount of sauce, too, so it is totally win-win.


Fettuccine Alfredo


Serves 2

Ingredients:
  • 4 oz. whole wheat fettucine
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 3 T salted butter, cut into 1/2 T slices
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated  parmesan or romano
  • granulated garlic
  • salt 
  • pepper
  • parsley

Directions:
  1. Cook the pasta until it's al dente, still firm when you bite into it, not mushy, but not still crunchy. Drain and set aside.
  2. Heat the cream in a skillet until it starts to bubble at the edges. Add the butter, a smidge (oh, a pinch, less than 1/8 t) of granulated garlic, salt and pepper and let cook until the butter melts into the cream. Taste it to check for seasoning.
  3. Add  1/3 cup of the cheese and stir well until it melts into the sauce.
  4. Toss the pasta into the skillet and mix well, serve, topped with fresh herbs like parsley or basil, plus additional grated cheese and eat immediately.

Notes:
  • You can mix in all sorts of things: shrimp, chicken, vegetables, but I like it plain with just the peas and really good-quality cheese.
  • I used some locatelli pecorino romano which I usually use in risotto, but man, it works nicely in this too.
  • I used whole wheat fettuccine, which is why it looks a bit dark in the photo. I usually try to make the dish a little less of a perilous assault on my blood sugar levels.
  • If you like a lot more sauce with your fettuccine than you see in the photo, you can easily adjust the amount of pasta.
  • This recipe easily doubles or quadruples to feed more people or people with enormous appetites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails