Monday, December 28, 2009

Steamed Green Beans with Walnut Vinaigrette

The forgotten dish from the sauerbraten dinner the other night. I've been making this for years. Sometimes I add some raw onion if I have a really mild, sweet onion like vidalia, but lately I just have the green beans and the walnuts.

This vinaigrette really improves after sitting a day or three. I'd take a picture (I'm eating it right now... yes, at 2 :30 am) but I don't have any daylight for the photo. Maybe tomorrow.

If I don't eat it all, that is. ;-)


Edit: Here it is, right before I devour the last of it for lunch.







Steamed Green Beans with Walnut Vinaigrette

Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds green beans
  • ½ cup walnut pieces

Basic Walnut Vinaigrette:
  • ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 heaping tablespoons crushed walnut
  • ½ teaspoon pepper
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 T finely minced onion, paper-thin
  • 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
  • ½ cup walnut oil
  • 2 T canola oil
Directions
  1. Wash and sort through the green beans, trimming off the ends and cutting them into 1 or 1½-inch pieces.

  2. Steam them for 7 minutes, then immediately submerge in an ice-water bath to stop from cooking further. Refrigerate.

  3. Make the vinaigrette by mixing all the vinaigrette ingredients together, shaking well to mix thoroughly.

  4. Add the vinaigrette to the green beans a bit at a time, tasting until you've got the amount you'd like.

  5. Toss in the walnut pieces, put the cover back on and shake, mixing well. Refrigerate for an hour or eat right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails