This vinaigrette really improves after sitting a day or three. I'd take a picture (I'm eating it right now... yes, at 2 :30 am) but I don't have any daylight for the photo. Maybe tomorrow.
If I don't eat it all, that is. ;-)
Edit: Here it is, right before I devour the last of it for lunch.
TweetSteamed Green Beans with Walnut Vinaigrette
- 2 pounds green beans
- ½ cup walnut pieces
Basic Walnut Vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 heaping tablespoons crushed walnut
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 T finely minced onion, paper-thin
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup walnut oil
- 2 T canola oil
- Wash and sort through the green beans, trimming off the ends and cutting them into 1 or 1½-inch pieces.
- Steam them for 7 minutes, then immediately submerge in an ice-water bath to stop from cooking further. Refrigerate.
- Make the vinaigrette by mixing all the vinaigrette ingredients together, shaking well to mix thoroughly.
- Add the vinaigrette to the green beans a bit at a time, tasting until you've got the amount you'd like.
- Toss in the walnut pieces, put the cover back on and shake, mixing well. Refrigerate for an hour or eat right away.