Yellow Split Pea and Andouille Soup
- 2 andouille sausages cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 red potato, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups yellow split peas, rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heavy cream to taste (optional)
- Sauté sausages in heavy large pot over medium-high heat about 4 minutes.
- Add potato and onion. Sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Dump in split peas,stirring well, then pour in the broth.
- Bring the soup to a roiling boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer until peas are tender, stirring occasionally, about 60 minutes.
- Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with a tablespoon of heavy cream if desired.