Friday, July 13, 2012

Seared Sockeye Salmon with Greek-ish Vegetables

I'm still going strong with the healthy eating and working out here, though it has been awfully hot lately, which means that I have been disinclined to turn on the oven. I've been eating plenty of cooler dishes, salads, lettuce wraps, the occasional avocado mashed up with salsa, which is surprisingly addictive. Some days it's worth it to fire up a skillet for a few minutes to sear a nice piece of fish.

Sockeye salmon is not for those people who are iffy on fish. It seems to me to have a stronger, more salmon-y flavor, but still has that lovely, soft and buttery texture. I've read that it is leaner than other varieties of salmon and, as such, can dry out quicker than others, so I cooked it slightly less than I generally do with salmon.

The flavor is so wonderful, that I dressed it only with fresh lemon juice and some salt and pepper, so that I could fully enjoy the lovely fishiness of it. The bright medley of Greek-ish vegetables added a refreshing touch.



Seared Sockeye Salmon with Greek-ish Vegetables 


Ingredients:

  • sockeye salmon fillet - I had a large one, which I cut into two 4-ounce portions
  • 1 T olive oil
  • salt
  • pepper
  • lemon juice
  • cherry tomatoes
  • Persian cucumber
  • zucchini
  • feta
  • oil-cured black olives
  • olive oil
  • lemon juice


Directions:

  1. Chop the vegetables and toss them with crumbled feta, olive oil and fresh lemon juice, add salt and pepper as needed. Set aside.
  2. Season the salmon with salt and pepper.
  3. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and sear the salmon skin-side down for 3 minutes, then flip and sear the other side for about 2 minutes.
  4. Squeeze some lemon juice over the top of the fish and serve with your Greek vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails