Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Chocolate-Coconut Protein Snack

I've enrolled in a pretty intense fitness and training program, and I've been working out at least an hour - sometimes up to two and a half hours - five days a week. As a result, my meal structure has changed somewhat. I like a small post-workout recovery snack soon after I finish working out, though I'm usually not hungry enough for a whole meal. I've had protein shakes made from whey protein powder (I like Pure Protein brand best), but I also stumbled up this DIY chocolate protein bar.

This recipe is for a chocolate-coconut variety, though I believe I'll see if I can finagle one with chocolate and peanut butter next.


Chocolate-Coconut Protein Snack


Makes 3

Ingredients:

  • 2 slightly rounded tablespoons of coconut oil
  • 2 heaping tablespoons of chocolate whey protein powder, (I like the Pure Protein brand because they have fewer carbs in it), 
  • 2 teaspoons of regular unsweetened cocoa powder 
  • 2 heaping tablespoons of unsweetened shredded coconut. 
  • 1 packet Stevia or Splenda (optional)

Directions:

  1. Melt the coconut oil in the microwave for about 15 second, then add all the remaining ingredients and stir well. 
  2. Shape it either by rolling it into a cylinder in plastic wrap or pouring into silicone baking cups. I use regular muffin sized silicone baking cups, which gave me three portions about the size of  a normal Reese's peanut butter cup, though a bit taller.
  3. Refrigerate or freeze. A word of warning: if you freeze it, you WILL need to let it thaw out before you eat it, lest you crack a tooth. Coconut oil softens/melts at room temp though, so do keep it cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails