Sunday, October 30, 2011

Rösti

Rösti is basically a large skillet potato pancake, kind of like a huge latke. I've mentioned my potato pancake preferences before, but this morning I wanted something potatoey and hashbrown-like. Last night I made some rough applesauce* and I had a smidge of crème fraîche left that needed using up, and really, what better vehicle to showcase both delicious sweet-tart applesauce and smooth, creamy crème fraîche than a gigantic potato pancake?

It is also the perfect autumnal pairing, and quite easy to make. I had fun working my Benriner Japanese mandoline, though for the life of me, I can not figure out how to use the finger guard while slicing, so I am just super-duper careful not to add shreds of finger to the fingerling potatoes.


Rösti with Chunky Applesauce and Crème Fraîche




Serves 1 generously or 2 judiciously

Ingredients:
  • 2 tiny fingerling potatoes, I used a Peruvian purple and red creamer
  • 1/4 of a medium-sized onion
  • 1 royal trumpet mushroom
  • 1 egg
  • fresh thyme
  • 1 - 2 t flour
  • salt
  • pepper
  • applesauce
  • crème fraîche or sour cream

Directions:

  1. Grate the potato on a box grater or a mandoline that has serrated razor settings. I used the medium blade on mine which produces 1/4 inch shreds. Grate about 1/2 cup of potato. Soak the shredded potato in a bowl of cold water and set aside.
  2. Grate an equal amount of the onion and as much as the mushroom as possible - I probably only got about 3 T of shredded mushroom.
  3. Put the onion and mushroom into another bowl along with some fresh thyme leaves, salt and pepper and mix well. 
  4. Drain the potato shreds and squeeze out as much of the water as you can, then add to the onion and mushroom mixture and mix well.
  5. Crack in the egg and stir to combine, then toss in 1 t of flour and mix well. You can add a bit more flour if the mixture seems too runny.
  6. Heat up a large skillet and melt some butter over medium-high heat
  7. Spread the mixture out as thinly as possible, lower the heat to medium and then cover the skillet and let cook until the edges of the pancake are golden-brown and then carefully flip over and let cook on the other side until it, too, is golden-brown and delicious.
  8. Remove from heat, top with applesauce and crème fraîche or sour cream and eat.


Notes:

  • Rough applesauce - I simmered 2 Ginger Gold apples, peeled, cored and cut into quarters in 2 cups apple cider with about 8 inches of stick-cinnamon, 4 whole cloves and 4 allspice berries until the apples were soft and falling to pieces and the liquid had reduced. I pulled out the spices and let the sauce cool and then refrigerated it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails