Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cinni-Minis

 I am trying to cook from my pantry for the next few weeks, designing my menu around what I already have on hand rather than shopping from a list of things I don't have. My pantry of canned goods and canisters of things may not resemble a fallout shelter just yet, but it has gotten unwieldy, so it is time to be creative and resourceful as I hack my way through the jungle that is by kitchen pantry (really just my kitchen cabinets).

I was going through the cheese drawer in my fridge the other day and found a ball of leftover puff pastry scraps. Wracking my brain, I thought that this ball of scraps could be re-purposed easily into mini cinnamon rolls. They made a fast, easy and delicious sweet snack, and there's no reason to wait until you have puff pastry scraps. I would gladly make these again using a full sheet of puff pastry.


Cinni-Minis


Ingredients:
  • Puff pastry scraps
  • melted butter
  • turbinado sugar
  • 3 T walnuts, chopped
  • 1 t cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Mix together the sugar, chopped walnuts and cinnamon.
  3. Press together the puff pastry scraps, folding them over onto themselves in a large ball.
  4. Place the ball on a piece of parchment paper and with a rolling pin, roll it to a thickness of 1/8 in.
  5. Brush melted butter over the surface and sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar and nut mixture over the top.
  6. Roll the pastry up like a jelly roll and brush it with more melted butter.
  7. Slice into 1/2 in. slices.
  8. Place the slices on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, and bake for 12 minutes or until nicely golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't it feel good to do this purging? I think we should do it a couple or three times a year. And it makes us be a bit more creative. These look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It DOES feel good, not only that I am clearing out space, but I love the pressure of creating a meal on the fly. lol Some of my favorite meals have been from when I was at the end of a grocery cycle and scraping the bottom of the pantry.

    I don't know how I let my cabinets get so out of control this time. It's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails