Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Vegetarian Chili

It's still cold here. I burned off god knows how many calories shoveling snow today and it looks as though I'll be trekking back out there today to shovel some more. I am still in my soup/stew kick, and today made up a pot of vegan chili. I was not in the mood for a long time spent on the mise en place (lol I love saying that "mise en place"). I really wanted to toss stuff in a pot and let it simmer because I just wanted to sit and catch my breath and rest before I had to go back outside into the snowstorm. Right? So I thought to myself: "Hmmm. Chili. Yes."

Now, chili is one of those foods which can attract controversy and strong opinion. There are those who believe that beans have no place in chili, like the chili con carne often also called Texas chili. Others like a lot of beans and minimal meat in their chili, while still others like to call a chicken and white bean stew by the name "chili." Many vegetarian chili recipes will also include high-protein grains like bulgur, though many chili purists would turn up their noses at it.

Honestly, if it's good, I like it all.I won't fight to the death over some literal interpretation of what a dish is supposed to be called, I'll just eat it.



Vegetarian Chili
Makes 6 servings


Ingredients:
  • 1 15-ounce can chili beans in sauce (I used Full Circle Chili Beans)
  • 1 15-ounce can dark red kidney beans
  • 1/4 cup red quinoa
  • 1/4 cup bulgur
  • 1 20-ounce can diced tomatoes, with the juice
  • 1 T tomato paste
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup Morningstar Farms crumbles
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 small dried chipotle chili pepper
  • 1 T dried minced onion
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon oregano

Directions:
  1. Put all ingredients in a large pot bring to a near-boil and then reduce the heat and let simmer on low for about an hour. Stir frequently so that nothing sticks to the bottom and burns.  Or you could just throw everything in a crock pot, put it on low and walk away.
  2. Taste to adjust seasonings, remove the chipotle and serve.

One serving of this chili is 5 WW points on the new PointsPlus Plan.


Amount Per Serving
Calories
259.25
Calories From Fat (10%)
24.72
% Daily Value
Total Fat 2.83g
4%
Saturated Fat 0.4g
2%
Cholesterol 0mg
0%
Sodium 884.16mg
37%
Potassium 888.31mg
25%
Total Carbohydrates 46.75g
16%
Fiber 12.87g
51%
Sugar 9.08g

Protein 15.75g
32%

Notes:
  • This chili is flavorful but not spicy. The chipotle gives it a little bit of heat, but even better, a wonderful smokiness which I think rounds out the flavor. Of course, if you have to have a number of alarms on your chili, feel free to add diced jalapenos or hot sauce to taste.





1 comment:

  1. Me encantó el plato vegetarianp chili,el nombre se parece a mi pais Chile.es un plato muy saludable ,me quedo en tu blog y te doy la suerte con el número 13 ,felicidades y bendiciones,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails